Wednesday 7 July 2021

Cyclist with Knee Pain - Easily Fixed!?


It's been a little while since my last blog as I have been fully booked since starting back to work...Yay!...but today I found myself with a little time to write something so here goes....

I cycle to work and whilst I was a little sluggish on my commute today I was overtaken by a man on his road bike and I couldn't help noticing how his knee stuck out when he pedaled. Okay, so he was going faster than me but I bet that he could (1) go faster and be more efficient and (2) have a lower injury risk if he made some small adjustments.  It got me thinking of how many cyclist and gym spinners I had seen with knee problems over the years and most of the time it came down to how their feet or cleats were aligned when on the bike.

You see; if you cycle with your toes and knees pointing slightly out you are not putting force directly in a straight line through your joints and pedals. You are less efficient and you are more prone to muscle imbalance and joint stress. Different parts of your quads and glutes will be working through your hips and knees.In fact, now I come to think of it, a lot of triathletes how claim they have a tight IT band actually have a tight glute medius and vastus lateralis which produce similar problems and internet searches diagnose ITB syndrome!

So what can you do if you are a cyclist experiencing knee pain?

1) Check your pedal/cleat alignment and check to see if your knees track in/out/straight when you pedal; if not then endeavour to correct it.


2) Make sure you stretch your glutes and all parts of your quads after a cycle session (ankle on knee and hell to bum/pocket/other butt cheek) for a good 30seconds. 

 

 3 Way Quad Stretch

           

 

 

  Lying Glutes Stretch

 

 

3) Get your injury professionally diagnosed and treated before it gets worse! Feel free to contact me to point you in the right direction.

So there you have it; Happy Cycling!

No comments:

Post a Comment